Significant Buildings
Clyde North School No.118 (1858)

In 1856 the first approaches on behalf of the area were made by those residents living near to the Cardinia Creek.

In view of the fact that there were twenty-nine children living within on mile of Mr. O'Connor's house the residents inquired of the National Board of Education as to the possibility of the establishment of a school on the watering reserve near to the creek. (This reserve is at the end of Thompsons Road).

Little became of this enquiry so residents approached Mr. John Falla Dumaresq, a young man who had come to the district and asked him to start a school in a building that they would construct.
Dumaresq agreed to the plan and upon half an acre of land, that he rented, a room was built through the labours of the parents. The school room was built of lath and plaster, with a paling roof, floor and brick chimney and completed September 13, 1858. At 26 feet long and 13 feet wide, with a 9 foot ceiling the building was considered suitable as a school-room.

1902 First Photo of Clyde North School

Click on image to see larger copy

A Committee of prominent persons (Lecky, Malloy and Adams) informed the Board that they had appointed Dumaresq as their teacher. Dumaresq sent his testimonials to the Board on November 23, 1858 and he was approved although school had opened several days after October 10. In 1859 Dumaresq erected a dwelling near to the school

In 1861 Cranbourne National School (although at Clyde) became Common School No. 118 under new legislation just passed. Little changed however as children were still expected to pay fees although many did not because they could not afford it.
In 1867, after many requests, the school-room with residence (5 rooms) and the land were purchased by the Board of Education. During 1869 extensive renovations were carried out on the building to improve the teachers residence and enlarge the classroom

.
In 1871 the dissatisfaction of the parents with Dumaresq forced him to hand in his resignation and a replacement was sought.  The following teacher John A Noble, had a troubled time at Clyde and was ‘transferred’ to another school after six years.  A relieving teacher, Mr Walker in 1879 was followed by Mr Thomas A.Twyford, who remained there for the next 36 years until 1915. Of him it is said No other teacher is likely to equal his record of service to school and to district”.

Legislation in 1872 made education free and compulsory and this ended many years of trouble over the collection of fees.

Due to the poor condition of the school building, requests were made for a new school building which was completed on June 3, 1878. Three builders had tendered for the work (Duncan £522, timber. Powis £325, timber and Powis £428, brick), and Powis was selected to build the brick building.

The history of the school from this period onwards is well documented and in too much detail to consider in this publication. In 1933 the school celebrated its 75th anniversary with two former students then 75 and 73 in attendance.

Highlights reported in The Argus include twice winning the District sports, obtaining a 100% pass for merit students, having the highest percentage of school bank savings in the state and  in 1926 H. Hook winning the State School long jump for his age group.
 

School Prize Winners 1878


Fifth Class:-(1st Division)
1st  :Edwin C Camm
2nd :George Hook
3rd  :George Cadd

Fifth Class (2nd Division)
1st  :Lizzie Cadd
2nd  :John Leamon
3rd :Martha Ridgway
Geo. Churchill, commended

Second Class
lst :Eliza Cadd
2nd :Sally Cadd
3rd :Willie Cherington
Wm. Leamon, commended

First Class, 1st Division
lst :Lizzie Jennings
2nd :Rosa Robins
3rd :Agnes Atkinson

First Class,  2nd Division
lst :Sydney Walker,
2nd :Arthur Atkinson
3rd :Lucy Cadd

South Bourke and Mornington Journal
Wednesday 21 August 1878


The year 1958, which marked the centenary of Clyde North School was a very special occasion in the district and resulted in attempts to trace the history of the school by Mr. James L. O'Shea and the production of a historical scrapbook. [ Available for viewing at the Fisherman's Hut Museum, Tooradin.]  

1878 School Examinations for Clyde and Cranbourne

Throughout the life of the school attendances have fluctuated between fifteen and twenty. An increase in attendance in recent years has necessitated a second classroom being located at the school. (The brick room was demolished in 1975). For more than 120 years there was a school  in Clyde (North) serving the needs of the community. The school was closed down in 1992.

More Information about Clyde North School No. 118
1. First Photo of Clyde North School 1902 followed by photos from 1920's
2. Clyde School No 118 (My Memories) by Keith Escott 1910-12
3. Clyde North Teachers
4. School Committee Members for No. 118
5. Ellior Sharp's story about being a school girl in Clyde in the 1890's

Return to Top>>

Questions and Comments

1. Did you know that one teacher, D Beasy (1953) was a Carlton Football Club player?
2. What happened at this school’s centenary in 1958?
3. Does anyone have photos of this school?
4. What happened to the machine gun given to the school as a war souvenir?

Clyde North Primary School has a Facebook page for former students and teachers

Sources
1. History of Clyde North School by J O’Shea
2. The Good Country
3. The Argus-Country News,
4. A Clyde History
5. Memories of Clyde North 1910-12, by Keith Escott
6. Public Records Office Victoria.
7. Vision and Realisation – Education Department files

8. Photos and student names from Cranbourne Historical Museum-Tooradin