Clyde-Cardinia Rural Fire Brigade

Clyde Cricket Club

Sporting Venues

Country Womens' Association

Melbourne Hunt Club




History for Students

Amazing Local Stories

Our Cricket Champions

Clubs and Organisations
1893-1993 Cricket by Terry Stanley

Short cut? Click on the menu link about our Cricket Champions.
THE BEGININGS- McKay's Paddock
(Clyde North)

For Clyde, competition cricket began with the formation of the Mornington County Cricket Association in October 1893. Other clubs to play in the Association included Cranbourne, Narre Warren, Pakenham, Somerville and Tooradin.

Previously, matches were arranged on an invitation or challenge basis. It is believed that during one such match in 1890 played just south of the Clyde North Hall, later known as "McKay's Paddock", Clyde amassed 6/666 against a visiting Frankston team.

Clyde continued to play on "McKay's Paddock" for many years.
1988, 1990 C Grade Glory
Clyde Cricket Club Website
During the early 1900's Local Councillor, Frank Brumby, led the Club as President into an extremely successful period in the Dandenong and Berwick District Cricket Association.
This season was to provide many highlights.

Then Captain, Guy Hobart, was a splendid opening batsman of the period. During the season he scored 685 runs at an average of 68.50. His season included four centuries, the highest score being 148 against Dandenong.

Premier cricketer of the district, Alex Duff, who had previously scored over 1000 runs (from 20 innings at an average of 61.40) whilst playing for Cranbourne in 1896/97, excelled during the 1907/08 season. At 38 years of age, Alex Duff scored 1137 runs from 10 innings, not out 3 times, for a sensational average of 162.42.

Duff scored six centuries during the season including three double centuries
(203 v Berwick, 229 not out v Berwick and 279 v Dandenong). He shared a 225 run opening stand with Guy Hobart (94) against Dandenong with the team reaching a mammoth 5/601


Back Row

1. Unknown Man, 2. George Manks, 3. Jack McKay, 4. Frank Brumby,
5. Unknown Man, 6. Unknown Man, 7. G. Churchill (Snr)
Second Row

8. Unknown Man, 9. Unknown Man, 10. Alex Duff, 11. Guy Hobart,,
12. Unknown Man, Unknown Child.
Front 13 Unknown Man, 14. Clarence Twyford

GOLDEN ERA- Early 1900's
During the early 1900's, finals matches were not played. The team which accumulated the most points throughout the season assumed the mantle of premiers.
In season 1907/08, Clyde held a slender lead from Berwick going into the final match against Pakenham

.Played at Pakenham, Clyde found themselves in immediate trouble. Not only had Captain, Guy Hobart, been dismissed for a duck but three other players were absent. Losing a further 3 wickets Clyde fell to
4 for 28 (effectively 7/28). Duff showed all his skill and determination to graft 100. He shared a partnership of 108 runs with T. Bourke 23, the only other batsman to reach double figures. Clyde 151. Left arm quick, Alf Smith, playing his first game for Pakenham bowled 18 overs, one maiden, 4 for 38

Berwick who had completed their season turned up for the second week in anticipation of a Pakenham victory and Indeed premiership glory for themselves. However, Clyde had other ideas with opening bowler, the Rev A. Gates, leading the assault on the Pakenham batsmen. He took 3 for 39 before having to retire after stopping a cracking drive from Smith with his foot. Smith top scored with 37 prompting some to question whether he was a ring in?.With Clarence Twyford taking 3 for18 as did the leg spin of Duff, Pakenham were dismissed for 102 runs. Clyde won its first ever premiership having been undefeated for the season.

Having finished commitments with the D& BDCA, Clyde played a number of social games up until the end of April. Not satisfied with their run scoring efforts, Duff managed 154 not out and Hobart 128 before retiring against Lang Lang. Hobart also scored 110 not out against Monomeith. These games were not recorded 1n the season's averages.

Clyde continued its fine form into the following 1908/09 season being undefeated premiers yet again. Duff, now Captain, and Hobart again dominated the opposition bowlers, Duff making 430 runs at an average of 61.42, Hobart making 546 runs at 54.60.

Opening bowler, Clarence Twyford , won the bowling average award with 22 wickets costing 9.00 runs apiece.

In 1909/10 Clyde, for the third year in succession, won the premiership - Duff securing the flag with 127 against Beaconsfield in the final match.

Alex Duff again won the batting average having made 319 runs at 39.87 - T. Jones taking out the bowling average with 7.58.

Duff’s fine form with the bat continued unabated for many seasons. During the immediate period he won batting averages in the following seasons: 1910/11 with an average of 83.60; 1913/14 with an average of 52.81; and 1914/15 with an average of 54.22.

  Although Alec Fleming only caught Duff towards the end of his long and distinguished career, he recollects one of his favourite shots from which he scored many runs, the late cut. "He used to wait until the hall was almost past him before patting it on the back of the head and sending it to the boundary."

Other players of the period included: C. Stuart, H. White, J. White, W. McLeod, T. Jones, W. Thorne, McMicking, Perce Hardy, George Churchill, G. Manks and James Stick.

During this period, Clyde played numerous matches against the Melbourne Cricket Club. Whilst never defeating the M.C.C., Clyde continuously fought out hard, competitive games, Hobart being the most consistent of players.

It was decided at the Annual General Meeting of August 8th, 1914, that the 2 guineas trophy money for being runners up the previous season to Kalora Park be spent to purchase an "honour board" detailing the three best batting and bowling averages for Clyde players for the 1901/l0 premiership seasons. The honour board is now proudly on display in the Clyde rooms

NEW VENUE 1920's
(Clyde Railway Township)

In 1920, the Cricket Club voted 8 to 3 to change its home ground to the property of Mr. Thomas Ridgway in the township near the railway station. A shed was built for storing equipment which still stands today.

An amusing letter is found amongst the early minute books. The Secretary of the Cranbourne Cricket Club showed all the cost effective thinking of a modern day accountant when writing to Clyde Secretary, Harold Hunter, on 26th August 1921.

"Dear Mr. Hunter
My Club has directed me to communicate with you regarding the proposed delegates' meeting to be held at Berwick on 1st September, 1921.
They issue you an invitation to join with our Club in hiring a car to go to Berwick for the meeting. This should save both clubs expense and also make the trip much more comfortable. Our delegates
are Messrs. Ash, Squires and F. Schultz, and I would be pleased to learn yours.
Signed G. Campbell, Hon. Secretary Cranbourne C. C. "

In season 1923/24, Clyde stormed into the final having soundly defeated old rival Kalora Park outright in the semi final. Tim Ryan taking the bowling honours in this game with 6/15off 6 overs, Kalora Park all out for 42 runs in their first innings.

Dandenong defeated Clyde in the final - Ted Ryan being the pick of the players with 5 for 13 and top scoring with 44 runs.

Batting honours for the season went to Tim Ryan who made 344 at 34.4. He also demonstrated his bowling talents with 25 wickets at 13.80. Ted Ryan took 36 wickets at 7.00 and leg spinner, Lex Duff, yielded 27 wickets at 9.70.

  Clyde went one better the following 1924/25 season defeating Pakenham in an extremely tight, low scoring final. Having Pakenham all out for 85 runs, Clyde found themselves in deep trouble at 6 for 46. Fortunately, veteran Alex. Duff was still in and he steered Clyde to victory with an invaluable 24 runs - the highest individual score of the match.

Alex. Duff won the batting average award having made 384 runs at 29.5. In close pursuit were Harold Hunter 402 runs at 28.7 and Tim Ryan 371 runs at 26.5.

A. Duff also collected the bowling average award, making 11 wickets at a cost of 6.00 runs apiece. Major wicket takes for the season were Lex Duff 56 wickets at 8.6, Ted Ryan 52 wickets at 7.00 and Tim Ryan 29 wickets at 7.4.

Clarence Twyford, Lex Duff and Harold Hunter were Clyde's country week representatives for season 1926/27. Twyford  performed extremely well with the bat making 89 against Colac and 82 not out versus Phillip Island. He averaged 57.6 for the week.

Clyde were defeated by Kalora Park in the final of the 1927/28 season. Clyde responded to Kalora Park's first innings of 249 (Norm Beckham 3I12, Harold Hunter 3/45) with 168 - A. Duff top scoring with 72 not out.

Lex Duff 5/25 and Clarence Twyford  4.21 then put Clyde in a commanding position rolling the opposition for 47 runs.

Clyde requiring 89 runs for victory were disappointing falling 15 runs short with 74.

  Leg spinner, Lex Duff, had a truly remarkable season in 1928/29. Opening the bowling he took 81 .wickets from 10 games at an average of 7.11.

Fellow opening bowler, Clarence Twyford , also had a fine season, capturing 40 wickets at an average of 6.35. Twyford  had now been opening the bowling at Clyde for some 20 odd seasons. These two players were the primary reason for Clyde's premiership successes during the late 20's and early 30's.

Opposed to the Dandenong High School team in the final, played at Berwick, Clyde made 190 with Twyford  42, Harold Hunter 36 and Lex Duff 26 being the best of the batsmen.

Lex Duff and C. Twyford set about destroying the Dandenong High School batting lineup with Duff collecting 6/40 off 8 overs and Twyford  4/14 off 7 overs. The Dandenong XI managed 59.
Forced to follow on, L. Duff continued his sensational form taking 7/34 off 7.1 overs, the opposition marginally bettering their first innings effort with 62 runs. Clyde won the premiership by an innings and 69 runs.

Club Secretary, Harold Hunter, was the most consistent batsman of the season scoring 336 runs at 33.6. Twyford  313 runs at 31.34 and a young Jim Duff 241 runs at a respectable 21.9 were also fine contributors.

Clyde journeyed through season 1929/30 undefeated. However, playing Kalora Park in the grand final at Cranbourne, victory looked certain to be taken from them after a good beginning.

Having made 181 runs in the first innings with Twyford  63, L. Duff 38 and H.  Hook 18, Clyde confirmed their undefeated status dismissing Kalora Park for 88. Twyford yet again demonstrated his all round ability with 6 for 39.

Disaster struck in Clyde's second dig, being all out for 48. Kalora Park requiring only 141 runs for victory were in a commanding position at 4/118. Lex Duff then produced the form which saw him take 11 wickets against Pakenham in the semi-final with 6/51. He and Robert Hook 2/25 (Clyde's two country week representatives) stole the match from Kalora Park who fell justten runs short of the required target.

Having won successive premierships Clyde secured ownership of the "Bulloch Lade" silver cup. Season 1930/31 saw Clyde defeated by eventual premiers Dandenong High School in the semi-final

.In 1931/32 Clyde fought out another low scoring and tight grand final. This time it was against Pakenham at the Berwick Oval

Clyde batting first managed a meagre 132 runs with three middle order batsmen making ducks. It was left to wily veteran, Alex Duff, 53 and Allan Wenn 23 to salvage the innings.

Clyde's bowling strength came to the fore dismissing Pakenham for 115 runs - L. Duff 3/41 and Keith Jennings 3/20 being the pick of the bowlers
.Clyde's second innings opened disastrously. The first wicket fell after just 3 runs and a further four batsmen were sent back to the pavilion without addition to the score. Clyde 5/3.

  Perce Henderson and Allan Wenn with 29 and 13 respectively managed to rescue Clyde from certain defeat. Clyde all out for 67.

Indeed Pakenham were in an enviable position requiring only 85 runs for victory on what one scribe suggested was a "small ground".

However, Clyde's bowling strength continued to be the dominant factor in the quest for premiership glory. Opening bowler, Keith Jennings, being the chief destroyer with b/21, Pakenham were dismissed for 74 runs and therefore conceded outright victory to Clyde by 10 runs.

In winning the 1931/32 premiership, Clyde collected the Peter Dawson Cup and also having won three flags in seven years gained ownership of the T. Jones & Sons Challenge Shield which is now proudly displayed in the club rooms.

Premiership success eluded Clyde for some time after the success of the early 30's.

Through much of the 1930's, Tom McKay held sway as President, ably supported by Secretary, Graham Bell.Clarence Twyford  was to captain Clyde during the mid to late 30's - a period which introduced many fine players to the club such as: Alec Fleming, Jim Reid, George Spencer, C. Plummer, Max Wenn, Len Bell and Bert Bell.

Clyde won the 1945/46 grand final whilst in "B" grade defeating Officer.

Chasing only 94 for a first innings lead, Officer doubled Clyde's tally with 203 runs. In a remarkable turnabout Clyde scored 182 runs in its second knock with the swashbuckling Max Wenn_ scoring 78, Captain, Alec Fleming, making a solid and extremely valuable 50 and Don Ratford lending fine support with 23.

With Officer requiring 74 runs for victory, Max Wenn 5/23 and Don Ratford 3/I 1 responded magnificently in accounting for the opposition batsmen for only 63 runs, Clyde having stayed a tremendous recovery defeating Officer by 10 runs

.Season 1948/49 saw an influx of talented players to Clyde with the temporary demise of the Cranbourne Cricket Club. Fred Perry, later to become President in 1956/57, fast bowler, Charlie Perry, and batsman, Ted Allen, were all fine cricketers having represented the Berwick District Cricket Association at country week in the past.

Also, Merv Campbell, who had moved to the district, was asked whilst watching training one particular evening if he had played the game before. Merv answered in the affirmative. Pressed further he modestly said he could bat and bowl a little and mentioned that he favoured wicket keeping. Indeed, having played many years at Sub-District Club, Coburg, Merv could bat, bowl and wicket keep very well.

He managed to become a dominant batsman at Clyde for the next decade. Fellow cricketers fondly recall one particular shot a square cut for six landing in the tennis courts at the old Clyde ground as being one of the finest shots seen in local cricket.

Led by Captain, Alec Fleming, Clyde performed consistently wellthroughout 1948/49 and secured a semi-final berth against Upper Beaconsfield in an extraordinarily low scoring game, Clyde held a slender 13 run lead over the opposition after the first innings (Upper Beaconsfield 79, Clyde 92).

  The game was wide open. However, in their second dig Upper Beaconsfield fell victim of the excellent Clyde pace attack led by Charlie Perry 3/21 and Alan G. Reid 3/11. Upper Beaconsfield were dismissed for 68.

Clyde requiring only 55 runs for outright victory reached its target for the loss of only 2 wickets - Alec Fleming making 23 and Alan G. Reid 20 not out.

In the final against Cardinia at Beaconsfield, fortune did not favour the Clyde XI and they were defeated in a hotly contested battle.

Merv Campbell won the batting average award in his first season at the Club. He again won the batting average in seasons 1953/54 and 1958/59.

THE 1950's, 1950-1959
Unfortunately, much of the playing history of the Club throughout the 1950's was unable to be discovered. It would appear that only on few occasions did Clyde journey into the business end of the season. No premiership successes have been recorded.

Danny Dee was a fine cricketer of the fifties displaying class with both bat and ball. He collected the batting average trophy in 1949/50 and the bowling in 1954/55.

Michael Hook and John Tweddle (captain for 2 seasons) were amongst Clyde's best batsmen of the period, both collecting batting awards.

Keith Collins and Dick McAleese were the frontline bowlers from the mid to late 1950's. Keith Collins had a sensational season in 1957/58 when he took a monster 66 wickets at a cost of 7.62 apiece.

Other players of the fifties included Bill Fuller, Bill Collins, Clive Pitman, Cecil Hopgood, Fred  Hook Snr, Bill  Hook, Keith Gillingham, Frank Goodrem, Alan Cuckson, Alan Collins, Terry Bell, David Allen, Ray Cam, Kevin Arnott, Keith Burns, Jim Murray, Jim Page and Alan Bangar.

In a committee meeting on 28th August, 1957 it was moved by Fred Hook Snr, and seconded by John Tweddle that the long standing service provided by Mr. Dave Osmond and Mrs. Osmond as club umpire and scorer respectively be shown full appreciation by awarding them life membership.

Dave Osmond served as club umpire for many, many seasons and was considered a well polished umpire by all and sundry exercising fair and correct judgement in his decisions.
His life membership medal is now displayed in the club rooms.

It is believed that these are the only life memberships presented by the Clyde Cricket Club.

By the end of season 1959/60, the rigors of the game had taken its toll on the ageing foot soldiers of the Clyde Cricket Club. Without the prospect of introducing youngsters to the Club, Clyde sadly disbanded.

  THE MODERN ERA, 1975-92
After an absence of 15 years from the cricket scene Clyde resumed competition in the Berwick and Pakenham District Cricket Association in 1975/76.

For seasons 1975/76 and 76/77 Clyde's home base was the ground in the middle of the trotting track at Cranbourne.

Merv Campbell who had played during the late 40's and 50's provided one of the highlights of the "first match" when he opened the batting for the 'D' grade XI against opponents Narre Warren East.

Merv's son John wasted no time in demonstrating his cricket ability making 104 not out in the "first match". Clyde's tally was 210.

With opening quick, Rob Schreurs and Captain, Don Round, ripping through the opposition, 6 for 18, a historic victory was averted due to inclement weather.

Clyde formed a strong combination during the season and with a convincing outright victory over Narre Warren East in the semi-final stormed into the final against Pakenham.

Pakenham, after a shaky start, forged ahead to be 1/92 before first change bowler Ivan Gillingham captured three top order batsmen. Gillingham 3/33 continued his fine form from the semi-final where he took 5/8off 7 overs.

Opening bowlers, Rob Schreurs 3/42and Eddie Mitchell 1/26off 17 overs, showed their capability as did Don Round and Les McAleese. Pakenham being all out for 169.

John Campbell continued his splendid form making his second century for the season 102 not out. Ably supported by Don Round 39, Bill Blundy 36 and opener Eddie Mitchell 27, Clyde scored 264 recording a comfortable victory by 95 runs on the first innings.

Promoted to 'C' grade for the 1976/77 season, Clyde continued its fine form, this time under the leadership of Bill Blundy.

Scoring a narrow 11 run victory over Narre Warren in the semi-final, Clyde played Pakenham in the final who proved too strong.

Eddie Mitchell, John Volders and Ivan Gillingham proved to be the major run getters for the season whilst Bert Blundy and Eddie Mitchell were the most successful wicket takers
By the start of season 1977/78 the Clyde Cricket Club had settled at its present site. The land for the Clyde Recreation Reserve previously known as "Iron Bark" had been in the Lineham family for 124 years before the passing of James Lineham. The Cricket Oval bares the name "Lineham Oval".

It had taken seven years of lobbying, chiefly by Don Round, for the Cranbourne Council to purchase the land for the Clyde Recreation Reserve.

There was much to be done to prepare a cricket oval after the land had been made available. The remains of an old farmhouse, a well, large pine trees and "greenies" were amongst the obstacles to be faced.

Amongst those who helped clear the ground fit for cricket with the aid of earth moving contractor, Bob Hill, were Don Round, Bill Blundy, Ron Harker, Clive Pitman, Bill Campbell, Ron Collins, Merv Campbell, Russell Manks, Les McAleese and John Volders.

Clyde performed well again reaching the semi-final of the 1977/78 season. However, Clyde could not defeat the Heinz combination.

The dominant batsmen for the season were Bill Blundy,
Shane Blundy and Captain, Eddie Mitchell. Whilst with the ball Bill Blundy had a fine season as did Rob Schreurs, Shane Blundy, Ron De Hay and Eddie Mitchell.

By season 1981/82 Clyde were in 'B' grade of the renamed
west Gippsland Cricket Association. It was for this season
that Ray Carter was appointed as Captain/Coach. He immediately made an impression on the Club with strong leadership and run getting ability. He captured the club batting aggregate award with 402 runs in the season, his top score being 190 not out against Catani.

Gavin Nish made his debut for Clyde in round 10 of the
season registering 113 against Rythdale. He followed this up with 99 against Catani and 78 against Tynong for an average
of 96.66.

Clyde were narrowly defeated in the semi-final having bowled Officer out for 208 (Shane Sparks 3/46 off 22 overs and Ray Carter 3/57). They fell 13 runs short of victory. Contributors with the bat were S. Sparks 34, G. Nish 32, Mark Rossiter 27 and Gavin Dehne 26 not out.

Led by Ray Carter, the 'B' Grade side were unbeaten entering the finals. However, they fought out. an extremely tense and cut throat semi-final against Tooradin-Cardinia at Devon
Meadows. Then Clyde President, Ian Bristow, recalls the
game as one of the most thrilling games he has seen.
  Having bowled Tooradin-Cardinia out for 159 on the first day with bowling honours shared by Vin Arthur 3/32, E. Mitchell 2/32, Dave Lovie 3/37 and S. Sparks 2/37, Clyde would have been reasonably confident.

That confidence would have been shaken with the early loss of class opening batsman, Mark Rossiter, who had made a century in the previous game.

Both R. Carter 21 and G. Nish 39 looked set to forge ahead before being dismissed by the leg spin of Alex. Duff (grandson of the Alex Duff who dominated bowling attacks whilst playing for Clyde during the early part of the century). Duff collected 6/76off 23 overs during the innings.

Clyde required 25 runs for victory with only one wicket in hand. Michael Harmes 19 not out and Vin Arthur 4 not out had to call on all their skill and nerve to push Clyde over the line for a one run victory. Clyde 9/160.

Opposed to Rythdale in the final played at Narre Warren, Clyde found themselves in immediate trouble being 3/4 and again faltering 5/38.

Gavin Nish and Gavin Dehne struck a 60 run partnership before Dehne was dismissed for 22. With the loss of a further wicket, Clyde 7/103, Dave Lovie joined Nish at the wicket. They not only brought some respectability to the score sharing a 121 run stand but turned the game around. Gavin Nish made a brilliant 139 runs not out and Dave Lovie a superb 48 under pressure. Clyde 244.

After being dismissed on the second day, Clyde had 2 hours to bowl at Rythdale and they used it well, Rythdale reeling at 7173. Clyde quickly wrapped up the innings on the third day - Rythdale being all out for 86.

Vin Arthur had the remarkable figures of 6/31 off 22 overs and Dave Lovie 4/27 off 12.3 overs. This was the third year in succession that Dave had won the club bowling aggregate trophy.

Gavin Nish had a fantastic season scoring three centuries including 221 against Rythdale in the preliminary games. He scored a magnificent total of 852 runs at an average of 94.66.

Promoted to' A' grade for season 1983/84, Gavin Nish confirmed his rating as the club's best batsman scoring 406 runs. Shane Sparks and Dave Lovie also did well in the run getting stakes.

Left arm quick, Gavin McGuiness, made his debut during this season and quickly established a reputation as a fierce competitor. He was the leading wicket taker in 'A' grade followed by V. Arthur and G. Nish.
After a great deal of hard work over a number of years, the Clyde Cricket Club celebrated the Christmas of 1985 by opening its new club rooms.

Much of the work, planning and fund raising can be contributed to the efforts of Peter Impey, Ian Bristow, Keith Stockdale, Ray Carter, Dave Gunther, Peter Deveney, Peter Bell and Rob Odlum.

Others who helped in the construction include builder, Pat Quirke, Bill and Mark Sheriff, Shane and Steven Sparks, Mick Harmes, Daryl, Mick and Gavin McGuiness, Dave Lovie, Steve Palmer and John Grist
In 1985/86, Clyde's Under 16 combination proved to be a force finishing on top of the ladder after suffering just the one loss.

The prospect of a semi-final victory seemed distant with Narre Warren 0/57. However, the bowling of Wayne McGauley 4/34 and Matthew Johns 3/20 saw the Narre Warren eleven dismissed for 96 in a dramatic turnaround. Matthew Johns had a great game also making 28 with the bat. He was well supported by Scott Everest 17. Clyde 7/105.

Playing Pakenham in the final, Clyde reached a total of 143 with major contributions from Scott Everest 35 not out and Craig Hosie 27.

With the resumption of play onthe third day, Pakenham were 5196 and the game was in the balance. Captain, Ward Sheppard, broke through immediately and claimed a further two wickets finishing with 5123 off 11 fine overs.

Other opening bowler Stuart Bristow found the right line and took 2132, Wayne McGauley 2145 and Matthew Johns picked up the crucial final wicket of the Pakenham Captain. Pakenham lost their last 5 wickets for 14 runs being all out for 108, Clyde winning on the first innings by 35 runs.

The other players of the premiership team were John Cameron, Danny DiIorio, Jamie Khan, Guy Lucas, Glenn Smith, Simon Williamson and Steven Wright

.'C' grade Captain, Geoff Pattison, had a fine season collecting the club batting and bowling aggregate trophies as well as the Club Championship Shield

.In season 1986/87, 'E' grade Captain, Wade McPherson's efforts not only led his team to a grand final but also gained him the club batting aggregate and the distinction of being club champion.
In season 1989/90, Clyde's 'D' grade team created a third XI record smashing 491 runs against Narre Warren at the Cranbourne High School ground.

Keith Stockdale played the innings of his life plundering the opposition attack with a magnificent 160 runs.

Newcomer, Peter Ould 79, proved fine support as did Peter Deveney 58 and Marty Caspersz 55. Ray Drane, not one to take prisoners, had a picnic smashing aquick fire 79 runs including 9 sixes.

In Round 11 of 1990/91, Clyde 'C' grade established an official club record and almost certainly an Association record in amassing a total of 647 runs for the loss of seven wickets against a hapless Beaconsfield.

Opener, Craig Arnott 51 played a sheet anchor role to first drop Steve Whitehead who scored well all round the St. Francis Xavier oval making 101 which included 14 boundaries. These two shared a partnership of 152 runs.

Shane Roach plundered the Beaconsfield attack for a superb double century which included 29 boundaries and one six (astonishingly the only six of the entire innings).

Youngster, David Edwards, lent fine support and registered a splendid 102. David combined with Shane for a tremendous unbeaten stand of 261 runs - both batsmen retiring.

Vice Captain, Geoff Pattison, made 81 not out with 10 boundaries. Clyde retained top spot on the ladder before entering a successful finals campaign

Clyde had to wait until 1988/89 before its next premiership success. This time in 'C' grade.

The semi-final against Merinda Park was a pressure packed encounter. Those who witnessed the game would testify that Shane Simmons' direct hit from the covers to end Merinda Park's innings with only a handful of runs required, drew the curtain on a game full of highlights. Stuart Bristow's bowling and Craig Hosie's dynamic wicket keeping and batting came to the fore in a high standard game.

Clyde's first XI, now in 'B' grade led by Dennis Armstrong, had lost a low scoring but thrilling final against Lang Lang. The loss seemed to fuel the fire for 'C' grade victory.

Playing the Redbacks at Cardinia, Clyde batted first and got off to a fine start with Gavin McGuiness 34 and Peter Read 23 opening the batting.

There were many contributors in Clyde's innings of 259, amongst them were Rob Odlum 39, Scott Everest 38, Darren Tanner 38 including one massive pull shot for six, Laurie Hughes 21 and Jason Davenport 20.

Gavin McGuiness who was under an injury cloud with a troublesome knee was playing in unfamiliar territory - the seconds. He showed all his class and courage to take 4 for 58 off 27.2 overs. One could only imagine what may have been achieved had he been fully fit.

Jason Davenport demonstrated his all round talents in taking 2122 off 12 overs. Glen Ralls, Captain Daryl McGuiness and Dave Impey all finished with one wicket apiece. The Redbacks were dismissed for 148 giving Clyde a premiership victory by 111 runs.

Clyde Cricket Club
Pattersons Rd, Clyde. Victoria.
Phone: (03) 5998 5563:

UPDATE Clyde Cricket Team website

Clyde "Cougars" Facebook page
  'C' GRADE AGAIN 1990
In season 1990/91, Clyde displayed great depth under the guidance of Captain/Coach, Michael Reilly, with all four senior sides reaching the finals. Unfortunately, only 'C" grade managed to win through to the final.

Playing Pakenham at Merinda Park, Captain, Dennis Armstrong, won the toss and elected to bowl. This proved to be a correct decision as by tea Pakenham had been reduced to 7/66. However, Pakenham slipped away to set a target of 201 runs.

Daven Johnston was the pick of the bowlers with b for 41 off 13 overs. The leg spin of Steve Whitehead returning 2/38.

Marcus Sharpe and Gavin McGuiness opened the batting and both looked as safe as the Bank of England. They shared a 121 run partnership with Marcus 61 and Gavin 57.
The loss of two quick wickets may have set off the alarm bells for some, but this brought Clyde's two most experienced campaigners, Dennis Armstrong and his Vice Captain, Geoff Pattison to the wicket. These two steered Clyde to victory with Dennis 38 not out and "Patto" 28 not out. Clyde won on the first innings by six wickets.
The following season 1991/92 Clyde again performed admirably having three senior sides in the finals.

This was the sixth consecutive season that the Club's first XI had reached the finals. Among the players to have represented the Club's first XI in this period are Shane Sparks, Dave Lovie, Michael Harmes, Dennis Armstrong, Michael Reilly, Mark "Bobby" Sherriff, Gavin McGuiness, Brett Glover, Robert Marshall, Shane Roach, Frank Byrne, Paul Bregazzi, Rowan Francis, Peter Read, Craig Hosie, Michael King, Simon Rogers, Darren Sinclair, David Edwards and Adrian Volders.

Both ' B' and " C' grade had good wins to advance to the grand final with only ' E' grade bowing out of finals contention.

Unfortunately, the respective opponents proved too strong for the Clyde combinations.

However, not all was doom and gloom during the 1991/92 season. Seldom used right arm slow bowler, Chris Bell, who was given an all too infrequent opportunity with the ball by 'E' grade captain, Bill Reiss, captured a wicket straight away. All doubters were silenced when "Belly" took another 2 wickets from successive deliveries giving him a hat trick.

No doubt the fun and games will continue for many years to come.

1. 1993 Clyde Cricket Club History by Terry Stanley
2. A Clyde History

3. Digitised Newspapers via Trove (The Argus,)

4. Clyde Cougars website