Stories and Inquests

1855-1980 Accidents, Fatal Farm and Riding deaths

1871 Boy Drowns in Clyde North

1887 Farmer Robbed in Melbourne

1890's Ellinor-A Girl's Story

1892 Death of a Clyde Jockey

1894 Rescued by his Brother

1904 Accidental Shooting of Farmer

1908 Breach of Promise

1912 Life in Clyde-Keith Escott

1916 Killed in a Gravel Pit

1922 Sad Story of a Clyde Blacksmith

1930 Murder Suicide

1944 Fire Destroys Houses



Clyde Store History

Soldiers who never came home

Stories and Inquests
1892 Clyde Jockey Killed on the track

Tommy Williams, 26

The untimely death of so good an all-round horseman as Tommy Williams, who was killed in the Selling Hurdle Race at Dandenong yesterday, has occasioned much genuine regret in racing circles, for not only was Williams a horseman whose riding won general admiration, but he was also an exceedingly well conducted and hard working young man. He was only about 26 years of age, but he had been before the racing public for a number of years as a jockey, and had ridden a great number of winners. Only as recently as the Oakleigh Handicap day at Caulfield (February 20) Williams won the Steeple chase on Artichoke, whose display in the hands of the now deceased jockey was in striking contrast to the form he had shown at Geelong and Williamstown previously, when piloted by other riders.

On this day week Williams effected a meritorious win in the Hurdle Race at Aspendale-park on Ettie, on whom he rode a steady race though three or four lengths in front of the field from end to end. He had an almost miraculous escape from a fatal injury when riding in a steeplechase at Buln Buln on last  New Year's Day, and though he got a severe shaking he nevertheless was one of the winning riders in one of those rare occurrences a dead heat in a steeplechase he being on Roy, while Wise was on Grandcourt when they ran the dead beat at Epsom on January 2.

Some years ago Williams experienced a wonderful escape from being killed when riding Millstream in a race. The horse was a cranky brute, who always ran off the course and Williams had the intrepidity to blindfold him and then ride him in a race. Still he could not keep the horse straight, and the pair ran into a two railed fence, the horse being killed on the spot while the jockey escaped almost without a scratch, he being shot between the rails of the fence and deposited underneath a buggy which was standing on the other side.

The Argus, 9 April 1892


A magisterial inquiry into the cause of the death of the steeplechase jockey Thomas Williams, who was killed on Friday, was held before Mr. A. W. Pearson on Saturday morning, at the Royal Hotel, Dandenong The evidence of Mounted-constable McKee, Mr. Robert Titcher, and Mr. George Montague was to the effect that the accident was purely accidental, and that there was no jostling or interference on the part of the other jockeys riding in the race.

The horse Williams was riding, Dirty Dick, was running third at the time of the accident. He had blundered at the first hurdle and struck the second obstacle heavily and came down with great force. It was ascertained that the horse fell 23ft away from the jump, and that the deceased jockey 's head was driven violently  against a post, causing-according to Dr Hodgson, who attended him -a compound comminuted fracture of the skull. A verdict of accidental death was recorded.

The Argus, Monday 11 April 1892


Clyde Store
Along Ballarto Road a store was commenced about the year 1892 to serve the people of the district. Tom and Sarah Williams established the business which seemed to concern itself with mostly household supplies. Not long after the Williams’ began, Tom Williams, also working as a jockey, was killed (8 April,1892) at a race meeting held at the then popular Eumemmering Track near Dandenong.

With assistance and support of the local people, Mrs. Williams was able to further improve the building and the business so that she would be able to support herself and young son, Tom Williams.

In September 1893, Tom Ridgway (son of Anthony) married widow Sarah Williams and carried on the business until 1904. Tom and Sarah Ridgway raised a family of six children

Tom Ridgway had been married previously to Emma Cadd who had died in 1886, aged 25, leaving one son, Tom Ridgway (Jnr).

At 27 years of age, Thomas Henry WILLIAMS, a Clyde farm labourer, died in a German Prisoner of War camp in April 1917.He was a son of Thomas and Sarah Williams (later Ridgway) who were the first owners of the Clyde General Store

comminuted = fractured into multiple fragments of bone