Significant Buildings
Clyde North Hall and Free Library (1884)

Throughout the district of Clyde in the 1880's there was a growing concern for the need to provide a continuing education for those who had left school, and to generally widen the outlook and interests of the local members of the community.

In June 1883, ten residents/trustees worked together to build the first Clyde Public Hall on land donated by Mr J. F Rutter. The Public Hall and Free Library was opened on Easter Monday 1884.
Beginning in the Temperance Hall ( Wesleyan Methodist Hall) early residents of Clyde established the Clyde Debating and Mutual Improvement Society and later met for fortnightly meetings in the public hall.

In April, 1885 a touring show (seemingly a common occurrence in the district) visited Clyde and promised "Comical, Musical and Mirthful Eccentricities, Chemical Tricks, Violin Solos".

Two years after its opening the Cranbourne Shire Council received a  request from the Secretary of the Hall Committee asking
"what steps he must take to have the hall registered as a dancing room”.

It must have been granted before May 1889. See the newspaper advertisement in the next column.

Through the years 1890-1914 the Hall acted as a base for the Clyde Cricket Club who played in "McKay's Paddock" south of the Hall.

First World War Soldiers were farewelled and welcome home by the community in the Clyde North Hall.
Advertisement copied from Mornington County Herald,
May 1889
Many functions have been held in the Clyde (North) Hall including Church services (1906), public meetings e.g. Mornington Farmers’ Society, polling booths, shire council election campaigns, lantern lectures, Country Womens’ Association, film shows, various balls, cabarets and talent quests

Concerts, fund raising or annual events, brought out the local talent for songs, recitals and skits. Their names and acts sometimes being listed in the local newspaper. The Hall also housed Honor Boards, to commemorate Clyde's War Dead and honor its cricket heroes of 1907-1910.

Educational films were shown for the children of both Clyde North and Clyde Schools during the 1950's.

The hall was demolished sometime after 1978. Does anyone know when?

Editor's note: Former School students say that the Honour Board was lodged in the school. Was this after the hall had been removed?

History of Clyde North Hall
South Bourke and Mornington Journal 28 November 1918

About People
At a recent meeting of the committee of management of the Clyde Public hall Mr T. A. Twyford, after nearly 35 years service, tendered his resignation as honorary secretary and treasurer.

The first steps to erect a public hall at Clyde were taken at a public meeting held in June 1883, and Mr Twyford was then appointed honorary secretary. The land on which the hall was built was a gift from the late Mr J. F. Rutter, and of the ten original trustees only three now survine -Messrs James Gibb, James Lecky and T. A. Twyford.

For many years a free public library was conducted in connec tion with the hall, and the institution as a whole proved a great source of benefit and usefulness to the district. The committee passed a vote of thanks to Mr Twyford for his past services.
Mr Geo. C Manks, of Clyde North, was appointed Mr Twyford's successor

1. The Good Country p. 188
2. A Clyde History
3. South Bourke and Mornington Journal : 16 April 1884
4. The Argus on Line - Country News (22 Apr 1896 , 27 Apr 1892, 26 Jan 1924, 9 Apr 1936)

5. Mornington County Herald 1889
6. Illustration by John Campbell